“Multiple Connections” error when importing a Physical machine into VMware


As many before us, we ran into the following error in Virtual Center, when we tried to P-to-V a server:

“multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user”

This is not an uncommon error, and you might recognise it from other scenarios that involve remotely connecting to a Windows host. 
I found quite a few posts that mentioned this problem, even a mention in the release notes of VMWare Converter itself, and an VMware knowledge base article,  and they go something like this:

An Inter-Process Communication (IPC) named-pipe network connection is already open from the local Windows Redirector to the remote host with different credentials than you are specifying in Converter. The Windows Redirector does not allow IPC connections with multiple different credentials from the same user session. This restriction also applies to mapped network drives as they are also a type of named-pipe connection.

To ensure the Converter agent connection succeeds, perform the following actions on the computer running Converter:

  1. Close any application views or Windows Explorer windows showing files, ActiveX components, or Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-ins from the server you are trying to convert.
  2. Open a command prompt. For more information, see Opening a command or shell prompt (1003892).
  3. Type net use \\<remote_hostname>\ * /delete and press Enter.

    : This disconnects any mapped drives to the remote host.

  4. Check My Computer for any mapped network drives to the remote host and disconnect them.
  5. Log off the server running Converter and log on again.  This disconnects an open IPC named-pipe connections established by any remaining applications.
  6. If the problem persists, restart the server running Converter.
  7. If the problem still persists, and you are using the VirtualCenter Converter plug-in, restart the VirtualCenter server.

So we tried all the above, but to no avail. Try as we may, from both our admin workstations, aswell as on the Virtual Center server itself, we could not get it to run.

In the end, my collegue tried to run the task using the IP adress of the server, itstead of its hostname!

That did the trick! But don’t ask me why! I suspect it has something to with the named-pipe actually being named differently when you do this.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.